Paisley Photographic Society
1857, Paisley Photographic Society is founded.
1859, photographs of Florence and Rome are shown at a monthly meeting.
1860, the first Exhibition is held in the premises of Paisley School of Design in Gilmour Street.
1861, the first "slide show" is held. Transparent photographs and paintings are shown on a Magic Lantern to a packed meeting of members and invited friends.
1886, the first Annual Exhibition is held in Paisley Museum and Art Galleries.
1891, the Society commenced "lessons on photography" to members. This tradition continues to the present day.
1899, the Society is incorporated into Paisley Philosophical Institution as the Photographic Section of Paisley Philosophical Institution.
1900, the Section moves into new premises at 28 Oakshaw Street in Paisley. Members of the Section are introduced to the Observatory by members of other sections of the Philosophical Institution.
1903, the Section joins the Federation of Scottish Photographic Societies. This organisation is known in 2007 as the Scottish Photographic Federation.
1905, the rooms at 28 Oakshaw Street are extensively renovated under the patronage of Thomas Coats. The rooms reopen for use in December 1905 and comprise a reading room, copying room, darkroom and an enlarging room.
1909, the Section decides to hold scheduled meetings on a Friday evening. This practice is still in existence in 2018.
1914, members of the Section take photographs to record the progress of restoration work being carried out on Paisley Abbey.
1915, the Section organises slide shows (Lantern entertainments) for soldiers wounded in World War I being treated in the Royal Alexandra Infirmary in Paisley.
1925, the Balderston Trophy is introduced into Section competitions It is awarded each year for the best photograph taken on a set subject within the Burgh of Paisley.
1927, the Section hosts the 19th Scottish Salon of Photography in Paisley Museum and Art Galleries.
1933, the Section hosts the 26th Scottish Salon of Photography in the Museum.
1939, with the outbreak of hostilities of World War II, the Section suspends all organised activities for the duration of the war.
1941, the rooms used by the Section in Oakshaw Street, Paisley are damaged by enemy action.
1945, the Section recommences its activities with the Secretary David Liddell calling an Annual General Meeting. The President Duncan Jamieson had been killed in action in 1941.
1951, the Section hosts the 35th Scottish Salon of Photography in Paisley Museum and Art Galleries.
1953, the Section participates in a meeting to establish a colour slide competition amongst camera clubs in Renfrew/shire The Renfrewshire Inter-Club Slide Battle is created This competition is still held annually today and Paisley Photographic Society hosted the competition in 2007.
1957, the Section celebrates the 100th anniversary of it being Paisley's camera club by organising an international photographic exhibition in Paisley Museum and Art Galleries.
The exhibition is greatly admired and entries are received from around the world.
1959, more lectures are held on the subject of colour photography to reflect the greater interest of members in colour work.
1963, the name changes from the "Photographic Section of Paisley Philosophical Institution" to "Paisley Photographic Society" (founded 1857).
1964, the Society amicably terminates the relationship with Paisley Philosophical Institution. The Society is an independent voluntary association
1965, the Society introduces a colour printing room for use by members, one of only two camera clubs in Scotland to offer such facilities at this time.
1968, the Society hosts the 52nd Scottish Salon of Photography in Paisley Museum and Art Galleries. Of the photographs on display, 317 are prints, 77 are colour prints and 120 are colour slides.
1982, the Society hosts the 65th Scottish Salon of Photography in Paisley Museum and Art Galleries. A civic reception is held by Renfrew District Council to mark this occasion and the 125th Anniversary of the founding of Paisley Photographic Society.
1992, the Society hosts the Scottish Salon of Photography once again in the Museum. Of 4500 entries from 54 countries, 900 prints are accepted for the exhibition.
1999, digitally manipulated images become eligible for entry to the internal competitions of the Society.
2001, the colour darkroom is replaced with a computerised digital imaging suite to reflect changes in the technology used by photographers to make prints.
2007, the Society celebrates its 150th Anniversary. It continues to warmly welcome those who wish to learn more about and practise the rewarding art of photography.